Thursday, March 8, 2012

Many little meals


Today I pulled out the Rose Bakery cookbook after a while of neglecting it.  So far I had only made a couple of the cookie recipes in it, but with the warm weather we've had lately I've been thinking about salads again.  Rose Carrarini's recipes are quite simple and I really appreciate her approach to cooking which is quite similar to the one I expressed a few posts ago.  I couldn't resist making this carrot salad tonight when I saw it -- I had all of the ingredients on hand and it looked quick and fresh and like just what I wanted.  It was ready in about 15 minutes and I was surprised at how irresistibly delicious it is (the picture above was taken about 10 minutes after I made it, by which time I had already eaten about half of it).  I do think, though, that the ratio of carrot to sunflower seeds was a bit off for me (I would prefer fewer seeds), so in my adaptation below I've adjusted for that, as well as reduced the original recipe to a size more appropriate for two.

Carrot and Seed Salad
Adapted from Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery

1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds
4 medium carrots, grated 
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp sugar (I used azucar morena)
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine sunflower seeds and grated carrots in a bowl.  Whisk together lemon juice, sugar, and salt and pepper (start with about 1/2 tsp of salt and a few good grinds of pepper and go from there), and then add olive oil, whisking til combined.  Add dressing to carrot and seed mixture and serve cold or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment